Sunday, February 3, 2019

The Town that was Too Small Essay -- Personal Narrative Essay Example

I grew up in the townsfolk that was too small for me, and spent my time trying to make it bigger. Moore, Oklahoma had been my abode since age two. Moore was a suburbia of Oklahoma City. Air Force personnel composed a spectacular segment of the population, providing an eclectic demographic new faces were common. Then when I was 11, my family locomote so my father could to go into the family business (selling truck parts) with his father. Our new home was in the country, near Mannford and Cleveland. I noticed a different gardening in these small towns. Whereas Moore was merely the name of the town in which I lived, Cleveland and Mannford represented something more important to their residents. Strangers were viewed with suspicion rather than curiosity. Athletic exploit was absurdly overvalued, as were inter-school competitions Clevelands athletic competition placed the towns and residents honor at stake.   Cleveland was actually a transition from childhood to adolescence for me. I developed a prejudice of small, isolated towns. I sought refuge in my Cherokee hereditary pattern -- 1/64, actually, but I registered with the BIA to assert my difference from the people near me. I became intensely more curious around places and perspectives with which I was unfamiliar. I began traveling the country on vacations and school breaks.  But no national where I went, my earthly concern was too small, because I still returned to Cleveland and the family business.   In an driving to expand my macrocosm, I in condition(p) to pilot a shave. As a toddler, I had often flown with my grandfather in a company plane that he piloted. I grew up fancying myself an authority on the subject. After all, I knew this control did this, and that control did that. So ... ...rub bush (the sort of woody bushes that serve to grow above the tree line). My jeans were soaking wet from having gone finished snow and dew-covered plants. Every noise I heard was a fend co ming to prove the nature show narrator wrong about bears not eating people, or attacking them for no reason. Fortunately, the narrator was right, and I lived to walk down the mountain in the morning.   I learned two important things in Alaska. I learned that a small town in Alaska was less parochial than many larger places.  Parochialism wasnt in the size of it of the town it is in how people accept differences. I also learned how parochial my own experience was in the grand scheme of things. The world is as big -- or as small -- as I let it be. I hope that as I continue by life, I will also continue to challenge myself so that my world will become ever larger.

No comments:

Post a Comment